Most personal injury and medical malpractice cases end in a settlement before going to trial, or sometimes even before a lawsuit is formally filed. A settlement happens when the person or organization being sued agrees to pay the victim an agreed upon amount of money to prevent the lawsuit from proceeding.
Thomas & Wickenheiser, LCC considers all the circumstances of a medical malpractice or personal injury case, including how the injury has impacted the victim and his or her family. Our attorneys work hard on behalf of our clients to determine acceptable compensation before reaching a settlement.
We have extensive experience in medical malpractice and personal injury cases that have come to substantial settlement resolution.
Those settlements include, but are not limited to:
- November 3, 2022: $1.32M jury award in Suffolk County, MA on behalf of a 59-year-old male operator of a motorcycle who was the victim of a hit and run.
- $750,000 for a PCP failing to follow-up on a CT scan, which showed a lung mass, for over 2 ½ years resulting in the death of an 84-year-old woman from metastatic lung cancer
- $475,000 settlement for a surgeon’s error in using the wrong size plate and erroneously placing the plate in the ulnar joint instead of the ulnar bone during surgical repair of a distal ulnar bone fracture in a 60-year-old woman.
- $425,000 settlement for an orthopedic surgeon’s failure to timely diagnose a complete transection (cutting) of the left ulnar nerve that occurred during a left arthroscopic elbow surgery in a 70-year-old man resulting in limited use and deformity of his left dominant hand.
- $400,000 settlement for a failure of an ENT physician to timely diagnose nasal cancer in a 59-year-old woman resulting in unnecessary radiation therapy and removal of a larger part of her nostril than would have been necessary if diagnosed earlier.
- $1 million settlement in a case involving a 3-year delay in the diagnosis/treatment of vulvar cancer in a 45-year-old woman resulting in serious disfigurement and impairment.
- $4.5 million for a severe brain injury suffered during birth resulting in Cerebral Palsy
- $2.0 million for the death 42-year old woman from a pulmonary embolism following a hysterectomy due to improper anticoagulation
- $2.0 million for a radiologist missing a mass on an imaging study that led to a three year delay in the diagnosis and treatment of neuroendocrine cancer
- $1.85 million for a delay in the diagnosis and treatment of stomach cancer in a 33-year old
- $1.5 million for the death of a 62-year old woman due to an emergency room physician misreading an EKG
- $1.25 million for a failure to properly monitor a patient’s oxygen during a hospitalization resulting in the patient’s death
- $1.25 million for brain damage to an infant during labor and delivery
- $1.15 million for loss of vision in the right eye of a 69-year old woman due to the perforation of her globe during the administration of local anesthesia prior to cataract surgery
- $1.15 million for loss of vision in the right eye of a 56-year old man due to the perforation of his globe during the administration of local anesthesia prior to cataract surgery
- $1.1 million for a delay in diagnosing a spinal epidural abscess leaving a 40 year old woman paralyzed
- $1.0 million for the death of an 80 year old woman due to a 3 ½ year delay in diagnosing bladder cancer
- $750,000 for the death of a severely brain-damaged 12 year old child during back surgery
- $750,000 for the cutting of a bile duct during laparoscopic gallbladder removal surgery requiring reconstructive surgery in a 78 year old man
- $700,000 for the death of a 41 year old woman from a cardiac arrest following surgery on her neck
- $500,000 for the death of a 38 year old man from a heart attack due to improper cardiac care
- $350,000 for an infant who suffered Erb’s palsy during birth
- $325,000 for a foot amputation due to delay in removing a compression boot
- $125,000 settlement pre-suit for a lisfranc fracture sustained by a 30 year old woman in a slip and fall